I’m so confused! Which should I get?!?
If you’re having trouble deciding between the Beco Butterfly II and a Beco Gemini, then you’re in the right place! I help parents just like you each day at my store and have been doing so for years as a babywearing educator. So, let’s get started! If you’re in Southern California, then I invite you to visit Granola Babies so we can try these on in person, but if you’re not able to visit, then let me share with you our hands on, in-person experience to help you determine which of these will work best for you.
Beco Butterfly II – has an unpadded body, a waist band that is not curved, padded shoulder straps that are worn backpack style and a unique inner harness that is between you and the baby and is shaped like a Y. The Butterfly II also has a removable sleeping hood.
Beco Gemini – has a slightly padded body that is adjustable to make it narrower at the base and the middle is also slightly narrower than the top and bottom. The straps are padded and meant to be worn crossed when in a front carry and backpack style when in a back carry. The Gemini does not have a sleeping hood, but has a softly structured headrest that can be folded up or down.
Ask in a forum which one people like the most and you’ll get all sorts of answers. The truth is that what your friend loves may or may not work for your body. So, let’s break it down to body type and which carrier it fits it best.
- Plus size male or female with average frame: Both will fit well.
- Plus size male or female with wider than average shoulders: Both will fit.
- Less than 5’2″ and average or plus size frame – Both will fit well
- Less than 5’2″ and very petite frame – Butterfly II is a better bet. Gemini will fit fine in the front carry, but not in a back carry since you won’t be able to cinch it tight enough for your frame.
- More than 5’2″ and average or plus size frame – Both will fit well.
- More than 5’2″ and very petite frame – Butterfly II is a better bet. Gemini doesn’t fit very petite frames as well as Butterfly II.
- Average height and weight – Both will fit well
- Above 5’9″ and average frame- Both will fit well.
- First time babywearer? Most parents we meet find the Gemini easier to learn to use.
- Never done a back carry and you’re nervous about doing so? Beco Butterfly II is easier for back carries than the Beco Gemini.
- Brand new little baby and need skin to skin contact? Gemini fits babies 7 lbs and up and there’s nothing between you and baby.
- Newborn 8 lbs and up? Both will fit.
- Need it for a newborn and also want to use it for your toddler? Both will work, but if you’re toddler is 35lbs or more than you’ll want the Butterfly II.
- Pregnant and carrying a toddler – Both will work, but if you’re toddler is 35lbs or more than you’ll want the Butterfly II.
- Have an up/down, up/down, up/down little one? The Butterfly II is easier to keep on and just put your little one up and down as needed.
More questions? Please post them here in this blog post and I may incorporate them into the post. Or email me at giselle [@] granolababies.com or call me at 714-445-4948.