We’re a Waldorf-inspired homeschooling family and so we learn using seasons and nature. But, one thing I love about homeschooling – in any way is the flexibility. Our “week” actually starts on Fridays because I do work at my store as well as being a homeschooling mama. So, instead of Monday-Friday, we do Friday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and begin again on Friday. Lately, Lora and Okhan have been learning about numbers and counting. Lora is learning to count to 60 this week and Okhan is learning about the number 5. Yesterday, we did the bean counting with Lora and Okhan did a paper collage with 5-point stars.
If you’re looking for some more ideas on fun ways to teach counting, here are other ways we incorporate learning to count into our schooling ~
- Counting sets of 10 beans
- Counting our senses – touch, hearing, sight, smell, and taste.
- Counting toothpicks in sets of 10.
- Counting fingers and toes.
- Counting pebbles during walks.
- Counting our crayons.
- And counting the pinecones we collected so far.