My mother is visiting from the Dominican Republic and it’s been lovely having her, as always. I truly enjoy talking to my mother when she’s visiting. She raised us in herbalism and I have so much to learn from her. Today while making Sunday brunch we talked herbs all morning long. I learned that while her own mother didn’t use herbs, her father made the kids herbal tea every morning – that’s a lot of tea making as my mother is one of nine! And so for my mother it all began when she was a little child. She said she used to devour any and every bit of information she would hear about herbs. And her knowledge of herbs involved so very organically, it’s really so interesting to me. And ofcourse as a child she used herbs with us but also even now always has an herbal suggestion for me.
My mother also uses food as medicine – literally. She has recipes that she uses for ailments that are 100% food-based. And today I wanted to share one of her recipes that can be used for body aches, inflammation within the body, for colds and flu or as a tonic for the body.
- 1 pint of raw honey
- 2 aloe vera leaves (peeled)
- 1/2 lb of fresh ginger (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1 pineapple (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 head of garlic (peeled)
- Take all ingredients and liquify in your blender.
- Do not strain it.
- Store in a glass container and in the refrigerator.
- Recommended to take 2 tablespoons after each meal, 3x a day. Can be used for body aches, inflammation within the body, for colds and flu or as a tonic for the body.