A communal meal, such as Fondue is the perfect way to bring the family together. In our family, it’s a family event from the chopping of the vegetables to the shredding of the cheese. The kids love dipping into the cheese. And they specially love the dessert that follows – chocolate fondue.
Get the kids involved! Toddlers can help out by putting the chopped vegetables into a bowl. And older kids can help with the shredding and chopping.
Ingredients for cheese fondue:
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or flour if your are not gluten-free)
- 1 peeled clove garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1 lb total of Gruyere & Swiss
Ingredients for foods to dip:
- Crusty bread
- Grilled vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, asparagus)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Boiled cubed potatoes or sweet potatoes
Directions for Cheese Fondue:
- Shred your cheese and mix with the flour. Set aside.
- Rub the bottom of your fondue pot with the garlic clove
- Pour the wine and heat on medium until it simmers
- Add the cheese and stir constantly on low until it’s melted and smooth
- Add salt and pepper to taste as well as a dash of nutmeg.
Pour into your fondue pot and enjoy dipping the various vegetables.
After our cheese fondue meal, we always have chocolate fondue for dessert. We simply melt chocolate chips with whipping cream and dip a mix of cubed fruits.